Top 25 HS Football Teams - Six ranked teams lose; Walled Lake Western moves inFootball  |
~~~~1. Clarkston (3-0): Defensively the Wolves took a step back last week (55-41 victory over WestBloomfield). Quarterback D.J. Zezula continues to post big numbers (241 yards assing; 111 rushing).
2. Muskegon (3-0): Muskegon survived its first road test (24-16 over Grandville). East Grand Rapids is next before the Big Reds' schedule becomes easier.
3. Birmingham Brother Rice (3-0): The Warriors have won a school record 25 consectuve games. No. 6 Warren De La Salle is next at Wayne State.
4. Rockford (3-0): Like Clarkston, Rockford had its hands full at home last week (10-7 over Muskegon Mona Shores). A date with Hudsonville is next. Hudsonville defeated Rockford 19-14 in the playoffs last season.
5. Detroit Cass Tech (3-0): The off-the-field news surrounding senior Jayru Campbell might cause distractions but expect the Technicians to take a 5-0 record into its game with Detroit East English Prep on Oct. 4.
6. Warren De La Salle (3-0): The wait is nearly over for the Pilots. On Friday they'll have a chance to avenged last year's 26-24, last-second loss to Brother Rice.
7. Detroit King (3-0): Not all of King's league games are expected to be blow outs. On Saturday King plays hosts to Detroit Cody (2-1), a team with speed and a good passing game.
8. DeWitt (2-0): Quarterback Jacob Johnson played last week despite battling flu symptoms. Word is Johnson should be 100 percent on Friday against Lansing Waverly.
9. Orchard Lake St. Mary's (3-0): St. Mary's had what amounts to a bye week last week (Detroit Consortium forfeited its game). Homecoming is this Friday against U-D Jesuit.
10. Oak Park (2-1): The Knights played an outstanding game on defense last week against Farmington Hills Harrison (27-0). Oak Park next serious test is in two weeks against Rochester Adams.
11. Macomb Dakota (2-1): Not sure any team in the MAC Red can seriously challenge the Cougars. Look for Dakota to take an 8-1 record into the state playoffs.
12. Lowell (3-0): The Red Arrows proved they belong ranked with the best after coming back to defeat East Grand Rapids 30-25 last Friday in the rain. Muskegon Reeths Puffer (2-1) will host Lowell next.
13. Hudsonville (3-0): Mason Opple is one of the top dual threat quarterbacks in the state and he's one of the Eagles top defensive players, too.
14. Northville (3-0): The schedule has been kind to the Mustangs. They had an easy time last week (40-6 over South Lyon East). No reason not to be ready for South Lyon (3-0) this week.
15. Oxford (3-0): Are you wondering how good the Wildcats are this season? You'll find out the next two weeks as they play Lake Orion and Clarkston.
16. Traverse City Central (3-0): The Trojans don't have time to celebrate long in the wake of their 20-13 victory over Traverse City West. Detroit Catholic Central is next.