Top 25 HS Football Teams - Hartland, W.L. Western back inFootball  |
1. Birmingham Brother Rice (7-0): The Warriors have one more Catholic League Central Division game (U-D Jesuit) before facing Orchard Lake St. Mary's in the Prep Bowl.
2. Clarkston (7-0): The Wolves face their big rival this week in Lake Orion (4-3). The Dragons need a win to remain in the playoff hunt and are sure to give Clarkston a game.
3. Muskegon (7-0): The Big Reds scored 35 points in the second quarter last week as it defeated Zeeland East 53-16. Quarterback Shawn Pfenning is becoming more comfortable running the offense as the season progresses.
4. Detroit Cass Tech (7-0): For the second straight week the Technicians looked beatable as they defeated Detroit Mumford 25-15 last Saturday. Perhaps a close game like this will be beneficial later.
5. Detroit King (7-0): Now the fun starts. King takes on Detroit East English Village Prep (5-2) in a PSL semifinal.
6. Oak Park (6-1): Defensibely the Knights were not as their best last week (45-25 victory over Birmingham Seaholm). Coach Greg Carter will have everyone's attention this week as the Knights play rival Southfield (5-2) on Friday.
7. DeWitt (7-0): Chase McPhee and Will Nagle split time at quarterback last week as DeWitt gained 558 yards in offense in a 49-0 victory over Owosso. The question remains, when will Jacob Johnson (concussion) return to play quarterback.
8. Macomb Dakota (6-1): The Cougars clinched the MAC Red Division title and now are playing for home-field advantage in the playoffs. A victory over Sterling Heights Stevenson (5-2) this week would add to Dakota's resume.
9. Lowell (7-0): The Red Arrows may have been caught looking ahead last week (19-7 over Jenison) as they face Caledonia this week in one of the state's top games.
10. Orchard Lake St. Mary's (6-1): Nothing fancy about last week's 21-11 victory over Detroit Catholic Central. The Eaglets now can set their sites on Birmingham Brother Rice for the Catholic League championship in two weeks.
11. Lansing Sexton (6-0): The Big Reds haven't had a real test since week three when they defeated Grand Ledge 32-21. Lansing Everett (5-2) could cause problems this week.
12. Zeeland West (7-0): West scored 75 points last week. Does coach John Shillito coach basketball, too?
13. Midland Dow (7-0): Dow is on track to register its first 9-0 regular season since the 1976 Class A championship team. Midland, in week nine, stands in its way.
14. Lapeer (7-0): Former Central Michigan coach Herb Deromedi said Lapeer was the best team he's seen this season. Maybe the Lightning should be ranked higher.
15. Canton (6-1): The Chiefs' offense showed a little play-action passes last week (30-20 over Plymouth) with quarterback Geg Williams proving Canton doesn't throw the ball on just Monday-Thursday.
16. Dearborn Fordson (7-0): The Tractors recorded their third shutout last week (21-0 over Belleville), the most since 2009.
17. Muskegon Mona Shores (6-1): Tyree Jackson threw for 281 yards and ran for two TDs as Mona Shores whipped Muskegon Reeths-Puffer 55-6. Reeths-Puffer had defeated Mona Shores each of the last two seasons.
18. Caledonia (5-2): The Fighting S