State Champs! Boys Hockey Team Rankings: Romeo moves into the top five; Heritage debuts at No. 15Hockey  |
1. Detroit Catholic Central. The Shamrocks remain the unquestionably the top team. A big weekend looms with games against U-D Jesuit and Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook Kingswood.
2. Grand Rapids Catholic Central. Coach Mike Slobodnik and the unbeaten Cougars keep rolling with a convincing 7-2 win over a tough East Kentwood squad.
3. Hartland. The Eagles made a play for the team to beat in Division 2 by virtue of a 3-1 victory over Birmingham Brother Rice.
4. Romeo. High scoring exploits of Logan Jenuwine and Nick Blankenburg, and fine goaltending from Nolan Kare have the Bulldogs unbeaten.
5. Birmingham Brother Rice. The Warriors will still have the final say in the loaded Division 2 as the defending champ.
6. Trenton. The Trojans are the fourth consecutive Division 2 teams listed here. They have just as good as any team to get the job done in that division. Coach Chad Clements has done a fantastic job replacing a legend in Mike Turner.
7. Brighton. Bulldogs have 2 big games this weekend up north against Hancock and Calumet.
8. Northville. Tough weekend for the Mustangs as well as they host Salem and Livonia Stevenson thursday and saturday.
9. Flint Powers Catholic. The Chargers handed Chelsea their first loss of the season with a 3-1 victory.
10. Grosse Pointe South. The Blue Devils pop into the top 10 with an 8-2-1 record after a 4-1 victory over a solid Wyandotte Roosevelt squad.
11. Allen Park. Coach John Brithinee and the Jags are making a case as the team to beat out of the tough Metro League.
12. Livonia Stevenson. Two big games against Plymouth and Northville this week for Coach David Mitchell and the Spartans.
13. Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook Kingswood. The Cranes and Detroit C.C. renew acquaintances at USA Hockey Arena on Saturday. It’s always a can't-miss match.
14. Orchard Lake St Mary's. The Eaglets are going to be tough for anybody in Division 1 at playoff time.
15. Saginaw Heritage. The Hawks make their debut in the rankings. They average over six goals a game.
16. Howell. The Highlanders have a tough road test against Hartland on Wednesday but did hand Hartland its only loss on the year with a 2-1 win last month.
17. Calumet. This is sure to be a big weekend as the Copper Kings host Novi and Brighton.
18. Wyandotte Roosevelt. The Bears dropped their first two games of the season but have recovered nicely. A 4-1 win over Riverview recently was a good sign.
19. Rockford. The Rams are 10-1 and are a high-scoring squad led by Connor Foss.
20. U-D Jesuit. The Cubs will be tested this week as they have games against Detroit Catholic Central and Flint Powers.
21. Livonia Franklin. The Patriots have a big game against their improved cross-town rival, Livonia Churchill, on Wednesday.
22. Sault Ste. Marie. Blue Devils are 6-3-1 and are a force to be reckoned with in Division 3.
23. Warren De La Salle. The Pilots have a huge week with games against Trenton and Brother Rice.
24. Troy. The Colts are 10-0 outscoring their opponents to the tune of 59-19.
25. Grandville. Coach Joel Breazeale and the Bulldogs are off to an 8-2 start, and are looking for a return engagement in the state semifinals at USA Hockey Arena in March.
The Next 5: Berkley, East Kentwood, Hancock, Livonia Churchill, Marquette.
Top 25 breakdown by divisions:
Division 1: 9 Teams
Division 2: 8 Teams
Division 3: 8 Teams.Tweet