Hockey Rankings: Brother Rice beats Flint Powers, moves to No. 1Hockey  |
1. Birmingham Brother Rice. The Warriors surge to the top after impressive wins at the MIHL showcase over Flint Powers and Hancock. Both Hartland and Powers each have one in-state loss. The Warriors are the team to beat both of them.
2. Hartland. Division 2 claims the top two spots, as the Eagles sit at 19-1 in-state and winners of 12 straight.
3. Flint Powers. The Chargers are 19-1 and bounced back nicely from the loss to Brother Rice with a 2-0 win over Livonia Stevenson. The Chargers remain the team to beat in Division 3.
4. Detroit Catholic Central. The Shamrocks are 11-3-1 in-state, but the defending Division 1 champs have a few teams breathing down their neck in the rankings, and at playoff time.
5. Grand Rapids Forest Hills Central. The Rangers are 18-1-2 overall, but an unbeaten streak of 13-0-2 in its last 15, including a 2-2 against red-hot Northville, is what keeps them in our top 5.
6. Brighton. The Bulldogs are 16-3, and had a statement victory on home ice over Detroit C.C. with a 2-1 victory. Bulldogs can make it all the way, again, in Division 1.
7. Grosse Pointe South. The Blue Devils are 16-3-1, but wins over Warren De La Salle and Brighton move them up in our rankings, and in the congestive Division 2 ranks.
8. Northville. The Mustangs are 14-5-1, but playing their best hockey as of late going 10-1-1 in their last 12 games. Coach Clint Robert is another name to consider when talking coach of the year.
9. Orchard Lake St. Mary's. The Eaglets are another hot team in Division 1, going 8-1-1 in their last 10 games.
10. Calumet. The Copper KIngs are 11-1 in their last 12 with the only loss coming to Northville by a 4-3 margin at the MIHL showcase.
11. Saginaw Heritage. The Hawks improved to 13-3 overall against in-state rivals after a big 4-3 win over Livonia Churchill at the MIHL showcase.
12. Warren De La Salle. The Pilots are 12-5-1, and coach Craig Staskowski will have his team primed for the Division 3 playoffs with the tough slate they play.
13. Livonia Churchill. The Chargers bounced back nicely from the loss to Saginaw Heritage with a 4-0 win over state-ranked Allen Park. At 13-6, coach Jason Reynolds has a real threat in Division 2 come playoff time.
14. Houghton. A recent 5-1 stretch with a win over Warren De La Salle has coach Corey Markham's Gremlins ready for another Division 3 run.
15. Livonia Stevenson. The Spartans went 2-2 since our last rankings with wins over Livonia Franklin and Hancock, and losses to Flint Powers and Hartland. The Spartans and Churchill renew acquaintances Wednesday night in a-can't miss rivalry game.
16. Hancock. The defending Division 3 champs will still be a tough out for anybody come playoff time, even with the incredible competition in Division 3.
17. East Grand Rapids. The Pioneers have improved to 16-4, and have shown they can play with anybody.
18. Allen Park. The Jags are 2-1 since our last rankings and are the third Division 3 team in a row in our rankings, showing yet again how intriguing the state playoffs should be.
19. Marquette. The Redmen stay in our top 20, and remain a threat for a long run in the Division 2 playoffs.
20. Grand Rapids Forest Hills Northern-Eastern. The 2016 Division 2 semifinalists had a nice showing at the MIHL showcase with a win over Trenton and a tie with Sault Ste. Marie.
21. Ann Arbor Gabriel Richard. The Irish have won 15 straight and are have been a surprise team in Division 3 with a 17-2 record.
22. U-D Jesuit. The Cubs are getting hot at the right time. They’ve won five straight and as we inch closer to the Division 1 playoffs U-D is becoming more of a factor.
23. Trenton. The tough slate that the Trojans play should serve them well in Division 2. They will be a tough out for anybody.
24. Sault Ste. Marie. The Blue Devils sit at 13-5-1 and looked like a tough Division 3 threat at the MIHL showcase.
25. Plymouth. The Wildcats stay in the top 25 at 12-7-1 in part because of the tough schedule that will have them battle tested come Division 2 playoff timeTweet