Boys Hockey State Rankings - Brother Rice moved to the top spot; Northville in the top 10Hockey  |
1. Birmingham Brother Rice. The Warriors have not lost since Dec 20, and only have losses to Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook Kingswood and Detroit Catholic Central on the season thus far. With wins over Detroit Catholic Central (3-1), Orchard Lake St. Mary’s (7-0) and Trenton (5-4) in the past two weeks, the Warriors have earned this spot.
2. Detroit Catholic Central. The Shamrocks suffered their first two in-State losses on the season in the past couple weeks falling to Brother Rice and Cranbrook Kingswood. However, convincing wins over highly-ranked Rochester United and Livonia Stevenson have them as a solid No. 2.
3. Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook Kingswood. Two wins and two ties since our last rankings, but a victory over Detroit Catholic Central keeps them in the third spot. The Cranes have shown they can beat anybody.
4. Rochester United. A disappointing loss against Detroit Catholic Central was erased with a nice win over a solid Utica Eisenhower squad. Coach Craig Staskowski's guys have another shot at a big match-up against Brother Rice on Wednesday.
5. Houghton. The Gremlins just keep rolling up the wins with only a single in-state loss coming to Brighton. Many in the hockey community are intrigued at the two match-ups for Houghton at the Michigan Interscholastic Hockey League showcase next week, as the Gremlins will take on Northville and Trenton.
6. U-D Jesuit. The Cubs move up a spot after a tie against Cranbrook Kingswood, and wins over Grosse Pointe North and Port Huron Northern. They are going to be a tough team to face in the Division 1 playoffs.
7. Utica Eisenhower. The great story out of the Macomb Area Conference Red division continues, only three losses on the season, but two of them came Rochester.
8. Brighton. The Bulldogs have not lost since before the New Year. Their last loss came December 17 against Detroit Catholic Central, and they have gone 7-0-2 since.
9. Northville. The Mustangs bounced back nicely after a loss to rival Novi on January 16 by going 4-0-1 since.
10. Grand Rapids Forest Hills Central. The Rangers keep rolling and are making Division 3 a very intriguing bracket come playoff time.
11. Livonia Stevenson. The Spartans went 3-1 since our last ranking with convincing wins over Novi and Trenton on the road, a win over Livonia Churchill and the loss coming on the road against Catholic Central.
12. Grand Rapids Catholic Central. Still only two in-state losses for the Cougars, and two victories over Forest Hills Central. Here’s another team that will make the Division 3 bracket interesting.
13. Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett. The Knights make the fifth Division 3 school in the top 13, and deservedly so with only two in-state losses.
14. Grosse Pointe South. The Blue Devils have lost only two games in state so far, both of them to its cross-town rival, University Liggett.
15. Novi. The Wildcats went 2-1 since our last rankings with wins over Berkley Unified and Canton, and a loss to Livonia Stevenson. This is a high-powered team led by Brad Hofelich.
16. Romeo. The Bulldogs are another great story out of the Macomb Area Red Division. They’ve won nine straight with their last loss coming December 20 against Utica Eisenhower.
17. Grandville. The Bulldogs have not lost since December 26, going 6-0-2 in that time. Another fine season is in the works.
18. Plymouth. The Wildcats went 1-1-1 since our last ranking, knocking off a solid Salem team, a tie against Cranbrook, and a loss to Brighton.
19. Berkley Unified. The Bears drop from No. 10 after going 1-2 since our last ranking. The losses came to top 20, and the Bears remain a force in Division 2.
20. Wyandotte Roosevelt. The Bears went 3-0 since our last ranking and this squad can score. Wyandotte outscored its opponents 26-2 in those three games.
21. Hartland. The Eagles jump back in our top 25 as an already solid team got better when captain John Nagel returned to the lineup.
22. Detroit Country Day. The Yellow Jackets have won five straight and are making noise in the very tough Metro League East.
23. Trenton. The Trojans went 1-3 since our last rankings, but dig a little deeper and you will find the losses came to the teams ranked in the top 11. This is a good hockey team.
24. Orchard Lake St. Mary's. The Eaglets fall 10 spots after a win over Grosse Point North, and a loss to Brother Rice, 7-0.
25. Rockford. The Rams are 4-1-1 in their last six with a tie against Grandville and the loss coming to Grand Rapids Catholic Central.
Breakdown by Division: Division 1: 10 Teams Division 2: 8 Teams Division 3: 7 Teams.Tweet