REPORT: Cass Tech QB Jayru Campbell no longer committed to MSU |
DETROIT -- While it has rumored for the past couple of months that Jayru Campbell was no longer committed to play football for Michigan State, the Cass Tech quarterback officially announced that he was no longer a Spartan commit during an interview with WXYZ Channel 7's Carolyn Clifford, which aired on Monday night.
"I would say I have opened up the recruiting process again and de-committed from Michigan State," he told Clifford. "And just trying to enjoy the recruiting process for my last year of high school.”
Campbell made headlines back in January for his role in body slamming a security guard in the hallways at Cass Tech, which he was recently sentenced to two months in jail for those actions.
Campbell will serve 60 days in jail beginning on July 28th, once he completes his summer classes, but could be released earlier with good behavior and is expected to rejoin the Technicians on the football field at some point this fall.
“I’ve learned from the situation and I’ve moved on from it,” he said during the interview that aired on Monday. “I would definitely say that everybody deserves a second chance.”
While it is not clear whether or not an offer from Michigan State is still on the table for Campbell after the incident, it has been speculated that the Spartans pulled their offer two months ago when recruiting services no longer showed the two-time state champion quarterback as committed.
With Michigan State likely behind him, Campbell is said to be considering offers from Cincinnati, Miami (Fl.) and LSU.Tweet