Forgotten Harvest Football Classic at Ford Field is Canceled |
What was shaped up and anticipated to be the rival football competition to the Prep Kickoff Classic at Wayne State, is no more. The inaugural Forgotten Harvest Football Classic, previously scheduled for August 31 at Ford Field, will not be held as it turns out.
All eight teams who were planning to participate in the event - Detroit Loyola, Detroit East English Village Prep, Detroit ML King, Port Huron, Utica Eisenhower, Rockford, Clarkston, and Rochester Adams - have been notified of the decision.
"The event has been officially canceled," said John Owens, Director of Communications at Forgotten Harvest. "As a non-profit organization, our goal at Forgotten Harvest is to feed people, and we reviewed our budget, and determined that we just weren't going to be able to cover the expenses."
Forgotten Harvest is the official sponsor of the event, and is the United States' largest food rescue organization. They provide over 42 million meals per year to those in need. All proceeds collected from the event were to help feed a million or more families in the metro-Detroit area. Detroit King and Port Huron have to decided to go ahead with their week one game, and contract talks are still in the works. Details on whether or not the other remaining schools will still play each other at another location are incomplete at at this time.
"We have talked with coaches from each school and have decided to meet with them all personally", Owens said. "We want to find out if any expenses on their part were involved for the event, and find out a way to resolve this issue, through fund raising, or our farming program. "By no means did Forgotten Harvest mean for this to happen, we just have to look out for the best interests of the company," he added.Tweet